jem-bay-neek / noun
A unique group drumming class for adults that combines West African and Brazilian-based rhythms and instruments.
This class is for players of any level of musical and drumming background – including novices – in mind and its aim is to allow people to experience the sheer joy that playing rhythms from these parts of the world evokes!
Djembenique is particularly aimed at:
– Music Educators (Professional development available)
– Church service/Worship Band/Choir musicians and directors
– People who’ve just always wanted to try drumming – which just about covers everyone!
Although Djembenique’s presentation bears some resemblance to drum circles, all instruments and music will be presented in a context that is connected to their origins while also providing a foundation for individual application in each participant’s own musical world.
Instruments will be provided, but you may also bring your own djembes, dununs, or Brazilian bateria.
- Meeting Dates: Saturdays in January 2019 – 1/5, 1/12, 1/19, 1/26
- Time: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM – the final class meeting day includes a performance for family and friends, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Rehearsal Hall 104.
- Cost: $195
- Location: Room 104 in Rehearsal Hall (1/5, 1/19, and 1/26); Walters Hall, room 240 (1/120 Douglass Campus, Rutgers University
- Street Address: 85 George St., New Brunswick, NJ 08901
- Campus Map | Directions
- Register here!
1/5 – Basic sounds, supporting parts, and breaks
1/12 – Call and Response
1/19 – Soloing
1/26 – Rehearsal and Showcase